UNITY CENTER OF TACOMA
BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING MINUTES
August 23, 2018
Board Members present: Debora Burks, Rev. David Elliott, Kathy Hemion, Ann Sealy, Marsha Williams
Absent: Curtis Beech
Also Attending: Denise Demos (Ministry Asst.)
Quorum: A quorum was present.
Opening Prayer: Rev. David Elliott
Mission/Vision Statement: Affirmed by all present.
Check-In/High Watch: Marsha held the high watch.
Secretary Report: Minutes from the July 2018 Board Meeting and July 5 Special Board Meeting were presented by Rev. David on behalf of Kathy Hemion.
Treasurer Report: A report on budget and finances was presented by Marsha Williams, with full discussion following.
Minister Report: Rev. David Elliott
- Our Summer Series “Nonviolent Communication” continues into September, and it seems to be going well.
- We cancelled the two most recent sessions of Spiritual Roundtable due to air-quality conditions. We opted to not make note of it online.
- Efforts are still underway for livestreaming or video-recording our Sunday Celebrations. We are researching and discussing how to get this online in a way that will make the greatest constructive impact on viewers.
- 4 teenagers and 2 sponsors attended the recent NW YOU Rendezvous event, and reports are that it was a wonderful experience for everyone.
- Membership classes will be a focus as we move into 2019 in our new space.
- The July event of our Sisters-in-Spirit Women’s Ministry was presented by Janet Rhodes on the topic of NVC for women. There will be no August event, as that Sunday was originally set aside for our Church Picnic.
- SIS Craft Circle continues at 6-7:30pm on 2nd and 4th Mondays of July, August and September. We have a core group forming, it seems.
- Our annual Community Picnic is now scheduled for Sept. 2.
- Planning is underway for the Chaplain Training in September. They are also planning to attend the NW Region Conference on the day of workshops by Linda Martella-Whitsett. That will suffice for training.
- Planning is underway for Faith in Action in the fall. The book will be “Braving the Wilderness” by Brene Brown
Committee & Team Report(s)
- Finance Team/ Marsha Williams, Chair:
- Vitality Team/ Denise Demos, Chair:
- Plans are being refined for our church picnic on September 2.
- Communications Team/ Raylene Ewing, Chair:
- Nothing new to report.
- Rev. David will convey to Raylene the need for brochures, maps, announcements about the move, etc.
- Marsha presented the official lease for the property at 3906 S 74th St, with 74th Street Plaza Building LLC, for 38 months beginning September 1, 2018, for consideration. Debora moved to accept. Motion seconded. Motion passed.
- Denise is working with Bob at Prosser Pianos on the consignment sale of the baby grand piano.
- We still need to recruit one Board member to fill a vacancy.
- The next Board Prayer session is scheduled for September 6 at 7:00 pm.
- The next regular Board meeting is scheduled for September 20 at 7:00 pm.
Closing Prayer – Debora