UNITY CENTER OF TACOMA
BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING MINUTES
May 17, 2018
Board Members present: Debora Burks, Rev. David Elliott, Kathy Hemion, Ann Sealy.
Absent: Curtis Beech, Marsha Williams
Also Attending: Denise Demos (Ministry Asst.), Raylene Ewing (Assoc. Minister)
Quorum: A quorum was present.
Opening Prayer: Rev. David Elliott
Mission/Vision Statement: Affirmed by all present.
Check-In/High Watch: Debora held the high watch.
Secretary Report: Minutes from the April 2018 Board Meetings were presented by Rev. David and Kathy Hemion.
Treasurer Report: A report on budget and finances was presented by Marsha Williams with full discussion following.
Minister Report: Rev. David Elliott
- Our Spring Forward Series, “The Lenses of Life,” continues, and it seems to be progressing well.
- Our live-streaming of Spiritual Roundtable on Facebook is having an impact, with people joining in online and new people coming in the door sometimes.
- Efforts are being made to livestream or video-record our Sunday Celebrations. We are researching and discussing how to get this online quickly.
- 3 teenagers attended the recent NW YOU Rally. We received reports of a powerful event.
- Plans for membership classes have been pushed back several times as we’ve faced rapid changes and focused on expanding our online presence.
- Our Sisters-in-Spirit Women’s Ministry’s in April was “Sacred Movement” presented by Jennifer Hyder. Reports indicate it was successful in every way.
- The SIS event on May 27 will be Janet Rhodes teaching a specific painting style.
- The “Baby Shower” diaper drive sponsored by the Vitality Team began May 13, which was Mother’s Day. It ends on Father’s Day, June 17.
- Rev. David did not attend the face-to-face meeting of the NW Region Board on April 26-27 in Seattle due to illness.
- Rev. David will attend UWM’s annual convention in the Kansas City area in June.
- Rev. David will be away for vacation for a week in July.
- Our annual Community Picnic is scheduled for August 26.
- Planning is underway for the Chaplain Training in September. They are also planning to attend the NW Region Conference on the day of workshops by Linda Martella-Whitsett.
- Planning is underway for Faith in Action in the fall.
Committee & Team Report(s)
- Finance Team/ Marsha Williams, Chair:
- Rev. David will ask MCFHC for a formal lease agreement, and let them know we have a prototype if they don’t.
- Vitality Team/ Denise Demos, Chair:
- Mothers’ Day, May 13, we began our Baby Shower diaper drive, which will end on Fathers’ Day, June 17.
- We have released the idea of participating in Art on the Ave and Tacoma Pride this year.
- Plans are underway for our church picnic on August 26.
- Communication Team/ Raylene Ewing, Chair:
- Moving forward, we need to set up ways to accept donations online.
- We still need to recruit one Board member to fill a vacancy.
- Planning was done for the Town Meeting this Sunday.
- We will likely have a Special Board Meeting to make strategic financial decisions, with the date to be decided at the regular Board Meeting in June.
- A camera needs to be purchased for live-streaming of services.
- The next Board Prayer session is scheduled for June 7 at 6:30 pm.
- The next regular Board meeting is scheduled for June 21 at 6:30 pm.
Closing Prayer – Rev. David